Dear Industry Partners:
I am writing to let you know Revision 2 of the BC Building Code has been approved. These changes will be effective December 12, 2019, and apply to building permits applied for on or after this date.
Amendments to the BC Building Code 2018 include:
• Changes to harmonize the BC Building Code with the National Building Code to provide greater flexibility for the construction of new secondary suites;
• Early adoption of the National Building Code requirements for encapsulated mass timber to enable the construction of 12-storey tall wood buildings in specific jurisdictions;
o Accompanying changes to the BC Fire Code are proposed and anticipated to available soon.
• New carbon monoxide detector and alarm requirements for stores, offices, classrooms, churches, and recreational facilities;
• Preliminary Energy Step Code requirements for hospitals, schools, community centres, and university/college classrooms have been introduced, and requirements for residential and office buildings have been refined, to support the CleanBC commitment;
• Increased requirements for lighting in recycling rooms; and
• Additional requirements for fire alarms and exits to increase safety on occupied roofs.
The online BC Building Code 2018 will be updated to reflect the Revision 2 changes. Customers with binder copies of the BC Building Code, will be able to print the updated code sections online at www.bccodes.ca shortly.
The Building and Safety Standards Branch will publish technical bulletins about the code changes on our website in the coming weeks. In the meantime, a description of the amendments and the rationale for the changes is available on our public review web page.
If you have any questions about these code changes, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please share this information as appropriate within your organization.
Andrew Pape-Salmon | P.Eng., MRM, FCAE
Executive Director, Building and Safety Standards Branch
Office of Housing and Construction Standards
Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing