A Regular and/or Associate One (1) member is eligible to apply for Certification after successfully passing the respective Building Officials’ Association of British Columbia (BOABC) Examinations and meeting the experience requirements established in Policy 1.1
To retain any level of Certification, a Member must:
- Maintain membership as a Regular or Associate One (1) Member in the BOABC.
- Acquire Continuing Professional Development program credits as specified in the BOABC Continuing Professional program (10 per year).
- Attend and fulfill Code Change knowledge requirements when a new edition of the BC Building Code is adopted. Certified members must fulfill the Certification Code Change Maintenance requirements within one (1) year of the mandated training.
RBO & BCQ DESIGNATIONS
A Regular member who is in good standing and has successfully obtained Level 3 Certification, is eligible to apply for permission to use the designation of Registered Building Official (RBO).
A Regular, Retired, Associate 1, Associate 2 or a Life Member who is in good standing and has successfully passed the Level 1, 2 and 3 Examinations, is eligible to apply for permission to use the designation of Building Code Qualified (BCQ). The BCQ title is not the same as the mandatory qualifications required under the Building Act. For more information about the mandatory qualifications click here.
To retain these titles, a Member must:
- Maintain BOABC Membership
- Comply with the requirements of the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) program.
- Attend and fulfill Code Change knowledge requirements when a new edition of the BC Building Code is adopted.
Certification applicants must complete the Certification Application Form and upload a completed Supervisors Work Verification form.
Once the application form is submitted, it is reviewed by the BOABC Office and sent to the registrar for final approval.
The applicant will be notified by the BOABC office of their certification and will subsequently be issued a hard-copy certificate stating the level of certification as approved by the BOABC.
Please fill out the Certification Form below.