The BC Building Code Interpretation Committee is comprised of the following stakeholders;
AIBC / EGBC / BOABC / City of Vancouver
The purpose of the BC Building Code Interpretation Committee is to :
- To facilitate province wide uniformity in the interpretation of the B.C. Building Code
- To receive, discuss and evaluate interpretation requests from code users
- To arrive at a consensus on the final wording of each interpretation for signature by the Chair
- To disseminate the completed interpretations to code users
The committee is not time-sensitive, meaning it can not, and should not, be used to provide immediate site-specific interpretation.
The committee meets with the intention of providing generic interpretations that can form a basis for greater conformity and consistency in code use and application.
“These views should not be considered as the official interpretation of legislated requirements based on the BC Building Code, as final responsibility for an interpretation rests with the local Authority Having Jurisdiction. The views of the committee should not be construed as legal advice. These interpretations are intended to be meaningful & helpful but always need to be considered with the specifics of an interpretation as they apply to any particular case (building or construction situation.)”
The committee has developed an interpretation request form and a format for response. It can be accessed here. Interpretation Request Form
All requests will be acknowledged and results will be provided in writing. The decisions of the committee are made by consensus with each voting member in attendance having a vote.
2019 Voting Members
Patrick Shek – Committee Chair
Joe Krevs (Secretary)
Doug Vance (Plumbing Official)
City of Vancouver
- Jun’ichi Jensen, Building and Safety Standards, Province of BC
INTERPRETATION COMMITTEE REQUESTS-ALL